Last Updated: 20/04/17 6:28pm
UEFA have criticised the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) over the incorrect failed drugs test provided by Mamadou Sakho who was wrongly suspended towards the end of last season.
The Liverpool player was given a 30-day ban following his test result on March 17, and which led to UEFA mistakenly believing that the substance Higenamine was on the prohibited list.
The defender subsequently missed out on the Europa League final against Sevilla, and lost the chance to represent hosts France at the European Championship finals in June and July.
And now Europe's governing body have been critical of the communication breakdown within WADA which led to Sakho being banned by error.
Sakho, who is currently on loan at Crystal Palace, confirmed to Liverpool he had taken a fat burner.
But it has since emerged WADA failed to communicate their view of the substance to their own laboratories in Cologne and Lausanne.
A UEFA report reads: "It is clearly not possible for anyone, laboratory disciplinary body, football player or otherwise to know whether or not Higenamine is a prohibited substance by reading WADA's prohibited list.
"The fact that the Cologne laboratory tested for Higenamine but had to check with WADA before making a determination indicates a problem, as does the fact that the Lausanne laboratory does not test for it.
"The onus is clearly on WADA to communicate to its laboratories what is and what is not on the prohibited list."
- Liverpool FC Rumours Suggest a Number of Transfers in the Coming Year
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood