background image

Steven Gerrard facing court battle following street clash near his home

Steven Gerrard is facing a legal battle following a street clash near the Liverpool FC star’s home.

Gerrard is named in legal papers lodged at the High Court by a man claiming damages after an incident between the two in August.

The clash, which took place near his Formby home, was said to have left the Liverpool captain badly shaken and sparked security fears over his family’s safety.

Papers lodged at the Queen’s Bench Division in the Royal Courts of Justice in London on December 6 list Gerrard as a defendant in the civil case, launched by Paul Alan Lloyd.

Gerrard’s wife Alex and friend Lee McPartland, who are thought to have been in or near the area at the time, have also been named as defendants in the case.

The incident is believed to have taken place as Gerrard was getting out of his Range Rover near a shop in the village.

Police took a statement from Gerrard and are thought to have spoken to him since.

According to the ECHO’s sister paper the Sunday Mirror , Mr Lloyd now has four months to serve papers on Gerrard, 33, his 31-year-old wife and McPartland, 43.

A source told the paper: “Mr Lloyd believes he has a good case. Steven and the other two might see things one way. But it is certainly not how Mr Lloyd is explaining away events.”

Earlier this month the ECHO reported that a woman police officer had been quizzed on suspicion of misconduct in relation to her alleged actions following the incident.

It is believed the officer, PC Helen Jones, has now been charged over allegations that she tried to obtain CCTV footage of the street incident from a shop.

PC Jones, who was on a career break at the time, will face magistrates on January 6, accused of committing misconduct in public office.

This syndicated post originally appeared at liverpoolecho - Sport on 29 December 2013

Comments are closed.