Liverpool have today been linked with a £15m bid for Lyon defender Emanuel Mammana.
The 21-year-old is a very highly rated defender, having been capped three times for Argentina already after a successful youth career for his country.
Mammana joined Lyon last summer for a fee of around £7m, making 17 Ligue 1 appearances , scoring one goal.
The Reds have made Virgil Van Dijk their top defensive target this summer, with Jurgen Klopp desperate to add the £50m-rated Southampton defender to his squad.
But that move now looks dead after Southampton accused Liverpool of tapping up the Dutchman, leading to the Reds sensationally withdrawing his interest in the defender.
Mammana could be an alternative for the Reds, who returned to pre-season training at Melwood this week.
Liverpool would first have to agree a fee with Lyon for the former River Plate defender. The French club sold Alexandre Lacazette to Arsenal this week and are notoriously difficult negotiators.
Source: Liverpool Echo
This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one
- Mane to miss Liverpool’s opening friendlies
- Liverpool dealt Naby Keita blow as RB Leipzig insist ‘nothing’ will make them sell
- Melwood photos: Danny Ings continues recovery programme
- Naby Keita swoop latest
- Steven Gerrard’s U18s to face Burton Albion at St George’s Park