There was disappointment for Rhian Brewster as England were beaten on penalties by Spain in the U17 European Championship final on Friday night.
The Liverpool Academy striker played the whole game in Croatia, where the young Lions led twice in normal time before the tie concluded in a hard-fought 2-2 draw.
Goals in either half from Callum Hudson-Odoi and Phil Foden sandwiched Mateu Morey’s effort for their opponents and appeared to have carried Steve Cooper’s side to victory.
But substitute Nacho Diaz levelled the score in the sixth minute of stoppage-time and Spain triumphed 4-1 in the shootout, with Brewster seeing his spot-kick strike the post.
His country’s run to the final nevertheless capped off a season of remarkable progress for the young Reds forward, who bagged three goals for England during the group stage.
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one
- Mane to miss Liverpool’s opening friendlies
- Liverpool dealt Naby Keita blow as RB Leipzig insist ‘nothing’ will make them sell
- Melwood photos: Danny Ings continues recovery programme
- Naby Keita swoop latest