Liverpool's pursuit of Naby Keita has suffered a blow with RB Leipzig declaring “there's nothing that will make us budge” from selling key players this summer.
Reports overnight suggested Keita and his representatives held talks on Wednesday with the Bundesliga side during which he reiterated his desire to move to Anfield.
However, it also emerged the Guinea midfielder “will not spit on Leipzig” having helped them to the Champions League last season.
The German outfit have consistently declared they have no intention of allowing the likes of Keita and similarly in-demand Emil Forsberg to depart during the transfer window.
And Leipzig sporting director Ralf Rangnick has reiterated that stance by saying: “We will definitely not be letting any key players go. There's nothing that will make us budge.
“It's totally normal for clubs to be interested in our players, but that doesn't affect our stance on the matter.”
Rangnick was speaking on Thursday at the unveiling of new Leipzig signing Jean-Kevin Augustin, the French striker who has joined from Paris Saint-Germain.
However, Guinea journalist Amadou Makadji has hinted the remarks won't signal the end of Keita's intention to join Liverpool.
Asked on Twitter if the deal was now dead, he responded: “No. There will be another meeting between the player and Leipzig this week.”
Source: Liverpool Echo
This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.
- Liverpool FC Rumours Suggest a Number of Transfers in the Coming Year
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood