Tonight will see the weekend’s fixtures rounded off in fine style as Liverpool take on Everton in the 227th Merseyside derby. And while it may still be early in the season, a win for either team will ensure they take an abundance of confidence over what is to be a fixture packed Christmas period.
Liverpool are undoubtedly the team to beat at the moment, but have suffered a slight dip in form in recent fixtures. A win tonight will see them keep within touching distance of league leaders Chelsea. While a loss will see them lose touch as the pressure of falling out of the top four mounts.
If you were a betting person, you would be excused for finding the best betting odds for Liverpool’s game on Monday as Everton have failed to notch a win since 2010. But this is a fixture where all form and league position goes out of the window.
Daniel Sturridge could feature on the bench having recently had calf problems, while Emre Can’s knee issue has subsided.
Joel Matip, who has proven to be one of Liverpool’s shrewdest pieces of business will face a late call as he struggles with ankle pain.
Despite the injuries, though, there are no suspensions to worry about for the reds.
Potential line up
Mignolet, Milner, Lovren, Klavan, Clyne, Lallana, Henderson, Wjinaldum, Firmino, Origi, Mane.
“It will be a war,”
“It is a big game for Liverpool because they need to win this game to keep up the pace,”
“It is maybe a bigger game for Klopp. A win keeps them seven or eight points off fifth place.
“They are looking to be in the top four. People talk about Liverpool winning the league, but one step at a time. If we can finish in the top four, it will be a major success.”
2010 – Everton have failed to beat Liverpool since 2010
1/18 – Liverpool have lost just one of their last 18 games and have only been beaten twice this season.
It might mean little, but form, historical results and desire are in Liverpool’s favor. They, unlike Everton, have more riding on a win.
1 – 3 win
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one