Liverpool have taken a squad full of youngsters and fringe players to Moscow for the Europa League Group A clash with Anzhi Makhachkala this evening.
The Reds are currently well placed to qualify, and with a trip to Stamford Bridge on the horizon the priority is clearly the Premier League. This, then, promised to be a tricky fixture for those tasked with taking on one of the world’s most resourceful clubs.
Brendan Rodgers has left several players at home, including the likes of Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Pepe Reina and Glen Johnson.
Anzhi are likely to start a similar side to the one selected last time out.
Jones, Flanagan, Coates, Wisdom, Carragher, Downing, Coady, Henderson, Shelvey, Cole, Morgan.
Gabulov; Agalarov, Samba, Tagirbekov, Zhirkov, Jucilei, Shatov, Carcela-Gonzales, Bousouffa, Traore, Eto’o.
“I have the utmost respect for Anzhi, but because our squad is very thin in numbers and we have a lot of games and young players, I’ve had to look at the games in which I can change the squad around.
“But if you look at the games in this competition, we’ve played three and won two games and have changed the squad around.” – The boss.
Anzhi are a strong side, especially at home, and an unfamiliar Liverpool side being sent out there could well be lambs to the slaughter. We’re just hoping that the height and experience of Coates and Carragher at the back can prevent Eto’o from causing too much damage.
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one