The Reds' former long-serving defender feels Jurgen Klopp's best XI can match anyone but there is a lack of depth in the Anfield ranks
Jamie Carragher has urged Liverpool to add a number of "quality" signings to their team in order to be able to compete for the Premier League title in 2017-18.
’Cristiano Ronaldo is innocent’
Jurgen Klopp's men impressed in the big games in 2016-17, but their relatively underwhelming results against the so-called smaller teams meant they eventually had to settle for fourth place in the table.
Carragher, who made over 500 appearances for the club, feels Liverpool showed they can compete with the best, yet believes they need to add to their ranks if they are to take the next step.
"The actual team, the XI, could go up against anyone, we saw that in the big games with some great results in those games," Carragher told the official Liverpool website.
"But over the season, especially around Christmas and January, it was evident that the squad was not big enough or strong enough. That needs adding to.
Dani Alves: Don’t spread sh*t on me
"But rather than just adding players to the squad, you want to add players to the team. If you add three or four players and they go straight into the first XI, three or four of those who were playing week in, week out last season go to the bench.
"It makes the bench a lot stronger and your team a lot stronger. It is not just numbers. It is about getting the right quality that can go straight into the team."
- Liverpool FC Rumours Suggest a Number of Transfers in the Coming Year
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood