Adam Lallana has revealed he apologised to his teammates in the dressing room at the Etihad Stadium immediately after Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Manchester City on Sunday.
With the game entering its final 10 minutes, the midfielder spurned the opportunity to grab a second goal for the Reds as he failed to connect with Roberto Firmino’s knock-back when unmarked six yards out.
Lallana acknowledges it was an opportunity he should have done better with, though believes collecting a point after an intense end-to-end contest with Pep Guardiola’s side wasn’t a bad result.
LFCTV GO: Lallana inches away from completing perfect team goal
He told the Daily Mail: “My eyes lit up, I just thought to myself ‘If I get some connection on this, it’s a goal’ but it just took a bounce in front of me.
“I might have just taken my eyes off the ball for a second and got excited. Oh, I’m absolutely gutted. It could have proven to be the winner and it was a big moment in the game. I’m so disappointed with it.
“Me being me, I went into the dressing room and said sorry to them all. That’s the way I felt. I put my hands up. To not hit the target… It was a chance I should have hit the target with and probably should have scored.
“I felt if we got the second, we would have put the game to bed.
“I apologised for not hitting the target but the lads were fine. It’s one of those things, isn’t it? They happen sometimes. It was a good point but I’m so disappointed not to score it because it could have been the difference.”
- Liverpool FC Rumours Suggest a Number of Transfers in the Coming Year
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood