Last Updated: 20/04/17 11:14am
Jurgen Klopp cannot wait to have Steven Gerrard in his team for Liverpool's end-of-season friendly in Sydney in May.
The Reds will face A-League side Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday May 24 with former players Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Steve McManaman also featuring as part of the club's upcoming 125th anniversary.
"If somebody would have told me a few years ago that I would be the manager of Steven Gerrard, I would have said 'Yes!' It's fantastic," Klopp told the club's website.
"The best thing you could have seen was the eyes of Stevie when I told him - or asked him, actually, what he would think about it. 'You want me to play?!' I thought I would have to convince him… he said 'Yes, of course, when?'
"He is a 100 per cent football player and of course a 100 per cent LFC player. He is really looking forward to it, and I think the same.
"It will not be the longest preparation for Gerrard for the game I've ever done, I would say; maybe I'll use his experience, not give him too much wrong advice and let him enjoy the game!
"I'm really looking forward for my players to play again with him, and for the people to see him again in an LFC shirt. It's a really nice thing."
Gerrard admitted the opportunity to play for a manager he "loves to bits" was too good to turn down.
"I'm certainly looking forward to being available for selection for Jurgen," the Reds legend said.
"Hopefully I can get some minutes. I've been asked the question before and I absolutely would have loved to represent Jurgen Klopp during my Liverpool career.
"I think he's a fantastic manager. I think we're lucky and blessed to have him. I can't wait for him to bring that bit of success back to the club. I'm very confident he can deliver that. We all love him to bits. You can see him taking the first team forward in big strides - we're getting really, really close."
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one
- Mane to miss Liverpool’s opening friendlies
- Liverpool dealt Naby Keita blow as RB Leipzig insist ‘nothing’ will make them sell
- Melwood photos: Danny Ings continues recovery programme