Following on from yesterdays reports of for tomorrow’s clash with Swiss side Young boys, it’s looking increasingly likely that Brendan Rodgers will be choosing to field a significantly young side.
The Liverpool Echo are reporting today that several first-team regulars including Captain Steven Gerrard and Veteran stopper Pepe Reina will not be making the trip into Europe.
It is likely the Rodgers is looking to rest these players ahead of a vital clash at Anfield with long standing local rivals Manchester United on Sunday afternoon.
The reported list of players set to miss the trip is as follows -
Jose Reina, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtl, Daniel Agger, Martin Kelly, Joe Allen, Steven Gerrard & Luis Suarez
It would appear that Rodgers is choosing to use the Europa League as an opportunity to blood the vast amount of youth talent into first-team action.
With last years league campaign thought to have suffered due to both domestic cups being taken arguably too seriously, could this be seen as a blessing in disguise?
What are your thoughts? Do you think that this is too much too soon for the young Reds? Or are you happy to see players like Suso and Pacheco getting a chance to prove themselves?
Let us know your thoughts below.
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one
- Mane to miss Liverpool’s opening friendlies
- Liverpool dealt Naby Keita blow as RB Leipzig insist ‘nothing’ will make them sell
- Melwood photos: Danny Ings continues recovery programme