Joel Matip is hopeful of being fit to face Crystal Palace on Sunday despite the muscle injury he picked up against West Bromwich Albion last weekend.
Matip sustained the problem during Liverpool’s 1-0 victory at The Hawthorns, with Jürgen Klopp revealing in today’s press conference at Melwood that the centre-back is doubtful for the meeting with the Eagles.
The boss did say, though, that it is ‘not 100 per cent that Joel cannot play’ - a message echoed by the defender himself later on Thursday.
“I’m hoping, but as the coach said I’m still struggling to be available for Sunday. I’m still fighting to get back,” Matip told Liverpoolfc.com.
“It’s a muscle problem, a muscle issue. But I will do my best to be available for the coach and for the team.
“During the game [against West Brom] I felt this and I had a few problems, but I could continue the game and that was the main thing on this day.”
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one
- Mane to miss Liverpool’s opening friendlies
- Liverpool dealt Naby Keita blow as RB Leipzig insist ‘nothing’ will make them sell
- Melwood photos: Danny Ings continues recovery programme