The Uruguay international defender would agree fresh terms at Atletico if offered them, but has also expressed a desire to test himself in England
Jose Maria Gimenez has admitted that he harbours a “dream of playing in the Premier League” amid Manchester United and Liverpool links.
The Atletico Madrid defender is not looking to force a way out of the Spanish capital, but concedes that he would like to test himself in England.
He has just 12 months remaining on his current contract and a £39.5 million release clause in his current deal.
Torres signs new deal with Atletico
Interest has been reported from Old Trafford and Anfield in the recent past, while Arsenal were said to be contemplating a move in the summer of 2016.
Gimenez told Uruguayan journalist Federico Buysan on his ambitions: "I dream of playing in the Premier League because all of the matches are fairly even.
"But if Atletico offer me a contract for life, I will stay."
It remains to be seen what Atletico’s plans for Gimenez are, having restricted him to just 12 La Liga starts in the 2016-17 campaign.
He has been with the club since 2013, but has rarely been a regular on the team sheet.
Despite that, the 22-year-old is grateful for the opportunities he has been given and for a platform on which to prove himself to other potential suitors.
He added: "Atletico taught me a lot from the first day I arrived.
Griezmann won't rule out Man Utd move
"I am privileged to be at the club."
Pressed further on his future, with Serie A heavyweights Inter also reported to be in the mix, Gimenez said: “I am relaxed about the rumours about my future and I always speak with my representatives.”
Gimenez has seen United already add Victor Lindelof to their ranks this summer, but Liverpool remain in the market for a new centre-half and Inter are expected to be busy with another refresh of their squad at the San Siro.
- Liverpool develops interest in Serie A debutant
- 2005 – 2018: Liverpool’s Best XI?
- Liverpool FC Rumours Suggest a Number of Transfers in the Coming Year
- Fantasy football Tip: The Top 4 Goalkeepers to Have on Your Fantasy Football Team
- Liverpool aiming to steal a march on Arsenal in top four race
- Champions League Race: Four Into One Doesn’t Go
- Sadio Mane Latest Victim of International Curse
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle