Kolo Toure's impressive opening to life at Liverpool has given manager Brendan Rodgers added confidence in the defensive options available to him for the 2013-14 campaign.
The Ivorian completed a free transfer switch to the Reds at the beginning of July and instantly impressed his new teammates and coaching staff with his vocal style of leadership.
Toure, who has previously won the Barclays Premier League title with both Arsenal and Manchester City, has been viewed by many as a replacement for the retired Jamie Carragher.
Having watched the 32-year-old closely during recent seasons, Rodgers believes Toure complements a group already containing several 'outstanding centre-halves'.
"Defensively, I think we'll be fine," the Northern Irishman said. "Kolo has been terrific since he came in here. He may be 32 years of age but he's super fit and in great condition.
"He's a player who has looked after himself all his life. His age is no barrier and he's someone with a winning mentality. He's someone we felt could come in and support the group with his experience and his qualities.
"I've looked at him over the course of his career and watched him a lot last year. Having seen him first hand since he joined the club, he will be very good for us this season.
"We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom, who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too."
LFC TV Online subscribers can watch an extended interview with summer signing Kolo Toure by clicking play on the video below. For access, sign up now from £2.99.
- Liverpool eager to make their mark on Champions League return
- Gimenez dreaming of Premier League move as Man Utd and Liverpool circle
- Ings hints at Liverpool stay as he focuses on the present in fitness battle
- Mane in full training in 10 days
- Day two of pre-season: The latest photos from Melwood
- Behind the scenes: A brilliant montage of pre-season day one
- Mane to miss Liverpool’s opening friendlies
- Liverpool dealt Naby Keita blow as RB Leipzig insist ‘nothing’ will make them sell
- Melwood photos: Danny Ings continues recovery programme
- Naby Keita swoop latest